Pages

2.06.2013

The Arts We Know and (don't) Love


     I am beginning to think that people don’t understand how the world works.  Now a statement like this could be cited with an infinite amount of examples. But I am talking specifically about people who enjoy the arts, the popular ones, like music and movies. I am very much one of those people, but I want to speak against some of the things they say.
      Whenever something horrendous comes out, like a two-part Breaking Dawn, or another Jay Sean album, people about how the music industry and the movie industry only care about money and never make anything good because they only care about money. I am here to say “sorry folks!” That’s what keeps industries in business, MONEY! Its not their fault that crap makes money.
     Here is an example for you, Mister I Quit Listening To Fun. Because Some Nights Wasn’t As Good As Aim and Ignite. The sales of Some Nights KILLED the sales of Aim and Ignite. So you know what? Fun.’s music is going to continue in that direction.  They aren’t going to go back, because they want to thrive making music! Not make one good album and then just die off.
     I am not saying that I want to see another Transformers movie. I don’t. I am not saying I want another Justin Beiber album in my house. I don’t want that, ever. I hate that this is the way it is. I hate that I hear people say “I LOVE FUN.!” And then they say  “oh well I really only know We Are Young.” It’s sad, but it isn’t going to change, not enough people care about originality for that to happen. I heard a friend of mine once say “Honestly Inception wasn’t even that good. Live Free or Die Hard was better” That STUPID kid is the reason that we don’t have good movies. And the girl who claims to love Death Cab For Cutie, but she only knows I’ll Follow You Into the Dark.
     What I am saying here is that it isn’t the stupid music or movie industry. The industry is smart. They know what they’re doing, they want to make money, just like everybody. It’s the 100’s of millions of people who listen to Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez. Sean Kingston.  Sometimes the general population gets it right, but not typically. Yeah, they like 1 Foster The People Song, and that one song that was on that cool Superbowl commercial with Rob Dyrdek. That’s it. Same as the billions of people that loved Transformers 3, guaranteeing that yes, we will see a Transformers 4.  It would be silly not to make one. If you can turn 300 Million dollars into a billion dollars, do it. I wont like it, and it makes me sad that it will make significantly more money that something like The Shawshank Redemption.  But that’s life.
     This is nothing new, just because you are realizing it at this point in your life doesn’t mean it’s new. Why is there 40 James Bond movies? 6 Rocky movies, even before that, Beethoven has 9 Symphonies!!
     Same goes for music, yeah, Justin Beiber is going to make another album, his fourth in the time that Joshua James made one, and it is going to sell hundreds of thousands more copies than Sufjan Stevens, Aim and Ignite, and Passion Pit, EVER WILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment